Bishop's Staff

Staff

Date:

1908 - 1926

Materials:

Wood, Silver and Metal

Dimensions:

H 50 in x D 1.5 in

Accession Number:

31.87

Credit Line:

Gift. Paul (Pavlov), Archbishop

Description

Bishop's staff. Lacquered wood, with metal end and metal band in center of shaft. Top knob is silver with engraving and stamping, niello scrolling foliage design, relief monogram ЕП inside engraved shield. Originally belonged to new martyr Archbishop John (Pommers) of Riga (1876-1934). Originally knob had engraved initials A. J. Later belonged to Metropolitan Avgustin (Peterson) of Latvia (1873-1955), then to Archbishop Aleksandr (Lovchii) of Berlin and Germany (1891-1973). In 1967 it was given by Archbish. Aleksandr to Archbishop Paul (Pavlov) (1927-1995) after he was consecrated Bishop of Stuttgart, who had his monogram put on the staff.

History Note

Originally belonged to new martyr Archbishop John (Pommers) of Riga (1876-1934). Originally knob had engraved initials A. J. Later belonged to Metropolitan Avgustin (Peterson) of Latvia (1873-1955), then to Archbishop Aleksandr (Lovchii) of Berlin and Germany (1891-1973). In 1967 it was given by Archbish. Aleksandr to Archbishop Pavel (Pavlov) (1927-1995) after he was consecrated Bishop of Stuttgart, who had his monogram put on the staff.

Inscriptions & Markings

Marks: sigma, kokoshnik facing right, 84 in oval; OK in rectangle.