Icon of St. Sergius of Radonezh

Icon

Date:

1917

Materials:

Wood, Egg tempera, Gesso and Gold leaf

Dimensions:

W 5.625 in x H 7 in x D 0.75 in

Accession Number:

20.2011

Credit Line:

Gift. Hilarion (Kapral), Metropolitan. 2011-11

Description

Icon depicting St. Sergius waist up, blessing with his right hand and holding a rolled-up scroll in his left. Background and halo are gilt and punched; border is punched and incised with geometric and floral ornamnet. Inscription in Slavonic.

History Note

Icon was purchased by Sergey Mikhailovich Ivanov (later professor of Russian and General History at Holy Trinity Seminary) and his father at Trinity Sergius Lavra when they traveled there from Riga before the Russian Revolution.

Inscriptions & Markings

On paper tags on reverse of icon are handwritten inscriptions in black ink: Икона принадлежитъ монаху о. Игорю 1 янв. 1975. Икона принадлежитъ iеромонаху о. Иларiону (Кaпралу)