"Softener of Evil Hearts" Icon of the Mother of God

Icon

Date:

1918

Materials:

Oil paint, Wood, Gesso, Metal, Gold leaf and Cloth

Dimensions:

H 2.75 in x W 2.375 in x D 0.75 in

Accession Number:

33.2007

Credit Line:

Bequest. Polskii, Archpriest Mikhail. 1962

Description

Miniature icon of the "Softener of Evil Hears" Mother of God (Умягчение злых сердец). Virgin Mary with six daggers piercing her chest. Oil on wood in engraved silver oklad. Red cloth backing. Gilt wood frame. In top center of frame is attached paper label with typewritten number: 179. Allegedly belonged to Empress Alexandra. From among items belonging to Nicholas II, his family and attendants found in and around Ipatiev House in Yekaterinburg. Before December 2012 was cataloged incorrectly as the Eleusa (Умиление) Mother of God. Was described as such in list of objects given to Archpriest Mikhail Polskii by Grand Duchess Xenia Aleksandrovna in 1948.

History Note

Icon possibly belonged to Empress Alexandra Fedorovna. From among items belonging to Nicholas II, his family and attendants found in and around Ipatiev House in Yekaterinburg. Given by Grand Duchess Xenia Aleksandrovna (1875-1960) to Archpriest Mikhail Polskii (1891-1960) in 1948. Bequeathed by Archpriest Mikhail Polskii to Holy Trinity Monastery. Arrived at Holy Trinity Monastery in 1962.