St. George Standard of the Life-Guard Chernomorskii Cossack Divizion

Standard

Date:

1865

Materials:

Cloth, Silk, Thread, Metal thread and Sequins

Dimensions:

W 60 cm x H 50 cm

Accession Number:

1.1.97

Credit Line:

Gift. Obedinenie Diviziona Sobstvennogo Ego Imperatorskogo Velichestva Konvoia. 1997

Description

St. George Standard of the Life-Guard Chernomorskii Cossack Divizion (Георгиевский штандарт Лейб-гвардии Черноморского казачьего дивизиона). Yellow silk background. In center, embroidered in silver metallic thread and silver sequins is imperial double eagle surmounted by crown and holding lightning bolts and wreath. On breast of eagle, on crimson background is embroidered coat of arms with St. George slaying dragon. In corners of standard are embroidered cyphers of Alexander II inside laurel wreaths and surmouned by crowns. Along border is embroidered inscription: За отличiе при пораженiи и изгнанiи непрiятеля | изъ предѣловъ Россiи 1812 год | и за подвигъ, оказанный въ сраженiи при | Лейпцигѣ въ 4 день Октября 1813 г. ("For distinguished service in the defeat and expulsion of the enemy from the bounds of Russia in 1812 and for the feat at the battle at Leipzig on the 4th day of October 1813"). Border emboridered with silver metallic thread and sequins. Silver metallic fringe along edges. Reverse of standard is identical. Orinigally standard was topped by imperial eagle finial (see 1.2.97) and had metal band with inscription on pole (see 1.3.97). Standard was awarded to the Chernomorksii Divizion by Alexander II on 30 August 1856. On 2 February 1861 it became the standard of the His Imperial Majesty's Own Escort (Собственный Его Императорского Величества Конвой).

History Note

Standard was awarded to the Chernomorksii Divizion by Alexander II on 30 August 1856. On 2 February 1861 it became the standard of the His Imperial Majesty's Own Escort (Собственный Его Императорского Величества Конвой). This standard, along with other standards of the Escort, were secretly taken from the Catherine Palace in Tsarskoe Selo and taken to Mogilev in 1917 by three officers and six cossacks to avoid the carrying out an order by the Provisional Government, which decreed that all standards and banners were to be brought to Petrograd in order that all imperial insignia be removed. On 30 March 1917 they were taken by the Terek (Терский) and Kuban (Кубанский) divizions to the Caucasus. Standards remained with members of the Escort who fought in the Civil War in the south of Russia. Were evacuated to Yugoslavia. In 1920 they were temporarily transferred for safekeeping to the topographic department of the Serbian army's high command. After the formation of the Belgrade military museum they were transferred there. In 1941 the museum was looted, among the stolen items were objects that belonged to the Escort. However, the standards were not stolen. Eventually the standards were brought to America. This standard was in the care of Nikolai Nikolaevich Protopopov (1921-1998) prior to being given to the museum at Holy Trinity Monastery.