St. George Standard of the Life-Guard Terek Cossack Squadron of His Imperial Majesty's Own Escort
Cloth, Silk, Thread, Metal thread and Paint
W 72 cm x H 54 cm
Gift. Obedinenie Diviziona Sobstvennogo Ego Imperatorskogo Velichestva Konvoia. 1997
St. George Standard of the Life-Guard Terek Cossack Squadron of His Imperial Majesty's Own Escort (Лейб-Гвардии Терский казачий эскадрон Собственного Его Императорского Величества Конвоя). Centered on light blue silk background is yellow-brown oval with imperial double eagle embroidered in black, red, and gold thread. In each corner embroidered in gold metallic thread is cypher of Alexander I inside wreath and surmouned by crown. Between cyphers, embroidered in yellow thread, is inscription: ЗА ОТЛИЧНУЮ | БОЕВУЮ СЛУЖБУ | ТЕРСКАГО | КАЗАЧЬЯГО ВОЙСКА ("For excellent military service of the Terek Cossack host"). Blue border with twelve embroidered white eight-pointed stars. On revers is painted image of St. George slaying dragon. Inside border with green embroidered strapwork. Outside border is green with twelve white embroidered eigh-pointed stars. Standard was awarded to the squadron by Alexander II on 8 October 1868.
Awarded to the Life-Guard Terek Cossack Squadron by Alexander II on 8 October 1868. This standard, along with other standards of the Escort, were secretly taken from the Catherine Palace in Tsarskoe Selo and taken to Mogilev in 1917 by three officers and six cossacks to avoid the carrying out an order by the Provisional Government, which decreed that all standards and banners were to be brought to Petrograd in order that all imperial insignia be removed. On 30 March 1917 they were taken by the Terek (Терский) and Kuban (Кубанский) divizions to the Caucasus. Standards remained with members of the Escort who fought in the Civil War in the south of Russia. Were evacuated to Yugoslavia. In 1920 they were temporarily transferred for safekeeping to the topographic department of the Serbian army's high command. After the formation of the Belgrade military museum they were transferred there. In 1941 the museum was looted, among the stolen items were objects that belonged to the Escort. However, the standards were not stolen. Eventually the standards were brought to America. This standard was in the care of Nikolai Nikolaevich Protopopov (1921-1998) prior to being given to the museum at Holy Trinity Monastery.