Staff of Metropolitan Anastassy (Gribanovsky)

Staff

Materials:

Wood, Silver, Enamel, Ivory and Mother of pearl

Dimensions:

H 53 in x W 6.25 in

Accession Number:

178.81

Credit Line:

FRH Museum Collection

Description

Bishop's staff in style of an abbott's staff. Belonged to Metropolitan Anastassy (Gribanvsky), later the second metropolitan of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (1936 - 1964). Consists of four sections. Wood with silver and filligree decoration, red enamel cross, ivory handle, four mother-of-pearl insets with incised symbols of the Evangelists. Engraved inscription: "Дорогому пастырю почетному члену Московскаго Серафимовскаго Комитета Россiйскаго О-ва Красного Креста Преосвященному Анастасiю 1916 г. Москва." ("To the beloved pastor and honorary member of the the Moscow Seraphim Committee of the Russian Society of the Red Cross, the Right Reverend Bishop Anastassy, 1916. Moscow.")

History Note

Provenance - Metropolitan Anastassy (Gribanovsky) (1873-1965)